Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The time for Television in now

There has been a shift recently that I am excited to watch, literally.  Television seems to be where the talent is lately.  The intention of the question "what do you watch?" has moved from film to television.  As a historian I tend to think this is part of an entire culture shift in response to the past decade of financial struggle and technology advancements.  Meaning, people are staying home and investing in home theatre systems, which provide more economical and customizable options than going to the movies.  Additionally, keeping costs low for the whole family.  With DVR, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes; everything is right at the consumers fingertips.  People are staying home and watching television.  Again, I ask what are you watching?
I have become immersed in watching season after season of show after show, I simply cannot get enough.  My latest obsession is Archer on FX, right up my ally when it vulgarity, without trying too hard to offend me. Homeland of course. despite its often farfetched storyline, the acting and editing makes a wonderfully acted, suspenseful, and riveting drama.  Same with Mad Men, which in my opinion was meandering a little, but this past season roped me back in.  We cannot forget one of the best new concepts, and that is American Horror Story.
First, AHS is brilliant in that it gets a reboot every season, giving the viewer variety, and preventing the show from extending plot lines too much.  Second, I like that they keep many of the same actors from season to season.  Not only, do we get attached, but we get to see them explore new roles. I have to assume as an actor, that is a dream.  Third, hello Jessica Lange!  Underrated or not, for my generation and younger, this work will be her legacy.  Even though she has clocked many of years in the industry. Lastly, way to push the boundaries out of the box.  It is oddly refreshing to look forward to being creeped out once a week.  It also reminds me to set the alarm and sleep with the phone net to my bed.
Finally, I must comment on HBO's underrated show The Wire.  Wow, I am ashamed to admit that I did not give this series a watch until now.  The acting, the casting (especially of Idris Elba, who'd you think is American for one) the writing, directing and editing is A-mazing.  Not to mention we meet Omar, the best written character I have seen in years. Season three is my favorite, and season four is he hardest to watch (in that it features children and their struggles). The chemistry between the characters keeps the flow of the plot moving from season to season, under realistic premises.  Moreover, I developed a relationship with these characters, including the ass holes, which oddly I learned to like too.
I could continue for hours on these wonderful shows that are not fitting into the run of the mill shows networks have been spitting out for the bast decade.  In that, we may finally be seeing the end of the "reality television" that is over produced and not really reality, and more of the work of writing, acting, and directing.  I love television, and have appreciated good television, and up until recently television was underwhelming.  Now, screw the theatre, people smell and get shot there.  I want to watch Boardwalk Empire, or The Killing, have a beer without on my 52" flat screen with 7 speakers of surround sound that I can pause when I have to pee.

No comments: